While web pages may look sharper on the new iPad’s improved display , the benchmark results show that the browsing performance is the same as the iPad 2, suggesting that the computational processing power in both devices is near identical (A5 vs A5X). The test was made by Futuremark using Peacekeeper, its browser speed test.
Peacekeeper is an HTML5 based browser performance test that can be used to measure and compare the performance of any browser on any Internet capable device, from desktops and notebooks, to tablets and smartphones.
Considering that device’s browser performance is strongly linked to the power of its CPU, Peacekeeper can compare the performance of competing devices regardless of differences in operating system. Here are some popular tablets ranked by browser performance as measured by Peacekeeper (higher scores are better):
- Acer Iconia W500 (Windows 8 consumer preview) – Peacekeeper score 405
- Apple iPad 3rd gen (iOS 5.1) – Peacekeeper score 384
- Apple iPad 2 (iOS 5.1) – Peacekeeper score 383
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 – Peacekeeper score 356
- ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime (Android 4.0.3) – Peacekeeper score 344
- Apple iPad 1st gen (iOS 5.1) – Peacekeeper score 234
If you would like to try Peacekeeper on your device, fallow this page. The test is free and takes around 5 minutes.