Sorry guys, I know you were hoping for a new redesigned iPhone 5 (including myself) with a larger edge to edge display and a thinner design such as one of those mock-ups we’ve see all over the Internet. Unfortunately, what we have for this year is an upgraded version of the iPhone 4 which is quite disappointing for all the iPhone fans. However, except the fact that the new iPhone 4S looks exactly like the old one with no cosmetic changes, it’s got some great new features and performance improvements.
There is a 2x faster A5 dual core processor with a GPU core that’s seven times faster than the current iPhone 4’s and its camera’s resolution and sharpness have been significantly improved in order to performs better in low light than the iPhone 4. Actually, according to Apple, the new 8-megapixel camera has more than 70 % improvement in light sensitivity per pixel over the old 5-megapixel camera.
Talking about features, iPhone 4S brings is Siri. Siri is some kind of artificial assistant which can handle a wide variety of tasks just by listening to your voice. It can send messages, schedule meetings, manage your agenda, place phone calls and even check the weather for you. You can ask Siri to do things just by talking the way you naturally talk to a person. Siri understands what you say, knows what you mean, and answers back. This means that you can ask pretty much any question you like, such as “any good burger joints around here?” Siri will check your iPhone and get back to you with the results.
This is the introduction video for the iPhone 4S.
Another thing we find interesting is Airplay, a feature which will allow you to broadcast what you see on your phone (picture, a video, or even a game) directly to your TV. It’s Apple’s version of DLNA, all done via Apple TV.
iPhone 4S specs:
- Processor – 1 GHz Dual-core Apple A5 CPU (Cortex-A9) which is 2x as fast as the iPhone 4
- GPU – Up to 7x faster graphics, with dual core graphics (comparative with iPhone 4)
- Display – Same 960 x 640 display as the iPhone 4
- Back Camera – 8 megapixel camera sensor which takes 3264×2448 resolution images, f 2.4 aperture
- Video Recording – 1080p at 30fps with real-time image stabilization
- Cellular – Hybrid GSM / CDMA (Great, the iPhone 4S will finally work anywhere around the world)
- Internet – Faster data speeds, up to 14.4mbps but still be 3G, no 4G
- Battery Life – Up to 8 Hour talk time, 14 hours of 2G talk time, 6 hours of 3G browsing, 9 hours of wi-fi browsing
- Storage: 16GB / 32GB and 64GB
The iPhone 4S will be released in 12 October and it will be available in 22 more countries on October 28 and in 70 countries by the end of 2012.
For more info, take a look here.