Apple intends to announce the next generation iPhone at an event on 2016-09-07…
I’ve been doing this for several years now – Apple prognostication, I mean. I must say… I mostly suck at it.
In fact, most everyone does. Well, except for Ming Chi Kuo. He’s an analyst for KGI Securities and he has the best record for predicting what Apple will actually introduce; and even HE isn’t infallible. So, take everything you read about what Apple will actually introduce – including what I’ve included here – with a grain of salt…
So, as I said, Apple is likely to announce iPhone 7 (or whatever they decide to call it…) on 2016-09-07. For the last two years, we’ve gotten two different size iPhones: the 4.7 inch iPhone 6/6s and the 5.5 inch iPhone 6/ 6s Plus. Everyone, Kuo included, is expecting that to continue with the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
Given this, the follow are the most commonly rumored and agreed upon new features by anyone that’s attempted even basic iDevice prognostication:
- Increased screen resolutions
- 1920×1080 (1080p) for the 4.7-inch and
- 2560×1440 (2K) for the 5.5-inch.
- DCI-P3 wide color gamut with True Tone support. (OLED??)
- 3GB of memory
- 32GB of entry level storage, 256GB max storage, likely on the 5.5 inch Plus model
- Apple A10 system-on-a-chip
- Increased water resistance.
- Dual-lens camera for better low-light and depth-of-field. (Plus only)
- Space blue color option
- Gloss black color option
- Additional Stereo speaker (and removed 3.5mm headphone jack, despite what Woz wants)
There may also be other iDevice announcements at the September 7th event, but honestly, I – and I think most everyone – is most interested and concerned with what happens with the iPhone. However, you can expect updates on iPhone as well as AppleTV, Apple Watch and iPad.
I’ll likely have something on the event after its concluded, reviewing everything that Apple is planning on doing. Stay tuned…!